City Council discusses the water and sewer bill rates annual in January or February. If a change is made click here for the current rates.
Charges shall be effective beginning August 1, billing period May thru July and all subsequent billing periods.
The City Manager reviews the department budgets and discusses them each year with City Council. In addition City Council shall annually, at the January City Council meeting vote to hold, raise or reduce water and sewer rates. Rate changes will take effect in the July billing cycle.
Install water-saving shower heads, HET High-Efficiency Toilets and low-flow faucet aerators.
Check toilets to verify they are working properly
Make sure the water level is not too high, the fill valve is working properly and the flapper is not leaking. A running toilet can waste hundreds of gallons of water per day.
Use dishwasher and clothes washer for only full loads.
Turn off the faucet-when washing hands, shaving or brushing teeth.
Adjust lawn sprinkling times and days
A sprinkler meter is an option and expense of the property owner, for an additional water meter. The sprinkler meter covers all outside watering, lawn irrigation, outside spigot, and a swimming pool.
If you choose this option you will be billed only during the two summer quarters, for water only.
What does the meter cost?
The cost is based on water meter size. The city is not responsible for determining the size of the sprinkler meter.
5/8" meter $300.00
1" meter $515.00
Installation of a sprinkler meter will require plumbing changes within the house. All plumbing changes and meter installations must be in compliance with the State Plumbing Code and completed within 30 days of purchasing a meter. (additional information) (photo of meters)
Steps for Installing a sprinkler water meter
1. A licensed plumber should do this work.
2. Determine the size for your sprinkler water meter.
3. Have the plumber pull the plumbing permitfrom Bloomfield Twp.
4. Call City Hall to make arrangements to pickup the meter.
5. Have the meter installed and plumbing changes made.
6. Within 30 days of purchasing the meter Call Bloomfield Twp. for a plumbing inspection 248.594.2818.
7. Once the inspection is approved, call City Hall 248.682.1440 to schedule for the DPW to certify/seal the water meter. This must be done within 30 days of purchasing the meter.