The City Council has established a permit fee of $5.00 and no sale shall be held without first obtaining the necessary permit-Online Fillable Form. You can also click here for a printable application. Please be aware that you cannot post signs on any public right of way, which includes street signs and telephone poles. Police personnel will remove any signs in violation. NOTE: The citywide garage sale is sponsored by the Sylvan Lake Home & Garden Tour and runs the Thursday-Saturday prior to Memorial Day. A permit is required (which is different from the city permit). Permits and signs for the annual citywide garage sale are available in April at City Hall.
Garage, yard and estate sales or auctions
- Sales are allowed for a period not to exceed 3 consecutive days.
- No more than 2 sales are permitted from the same residence in any 12-month period.
- Any sign including "garage sale" sign, which is not more than six square feet in area, may be erected on a residential premises provided the total of all such signs on one premises shall not exceed six square feet and shall further be restricted as follows:
- A non-accessory "garage sale" sign shall not exceed four square feet in area for that purpose of directing to a garage, estate or similar sale, may be located on private property. The sign height shall not exceed six feet above grade.
- Permission to locate subject signs shall be obtained from the owner or occupant of property on which the sign is located. Failure to comply with this condition shall be cause for immediate removal of such sign.
- Such signs shall not be erected in such a manner that they will or reasonable may be expected to interfere with, obstruct, confuse, or mislead traffic.
- NO SIGNS ARE ALLOWED IN THE ROAD RIGHT-OF-WAY (ROW)
- Removal: All garage sale or similar signs are to be removed with 24 hours of the last day of said sale.
For further information, contact City Hall at 248.682.1440