Font Size

Call City Hall Before You

Burning Ordinance

We have a Burning Ordinance in the City which prohibits any and all open burning in the City. This means leaves, twigs, branches, trash, and building materials. These items can be bagged and set out for pick-up if you contact GFL to pick up your yard waste. The City has a leaf vacuum which makes regular collections during the fall. Rake your leaves to the edge of the asphalt (not in the ditch, not in the street) and the City will vacuum the leaves when accumulated.

Building Permits

Make note that if you are going to be doing any repairs, remodeling, renovating, building, plumbing or electrical work on your home, you probably need a permit. If you are in doubt with any project, check with City Hall. A City ordinance also requires a permit for a garage sale.


Call before you dig. Michigan's one-call utility notification organization miss dig is available to you.  Contact them and let them know when you plan to break ground. It's the law!  To place a dig notice click here.

Improvements in the road right-of-way (ROW)

The City of Sylvan Lake has a policy that explains what you can and cannot do in the road right-of-way (ROW). The ROW is the area from the edge of the street to the front property line. The ROW is approximately 15 feet from the edge of the street. A permit is required for any improvements in the ROW. This includes ditches, driveways, culverts, landscaping, etc. Please be sure to contact City Hall before any work is done in the ROW. Click here for the full policy: ROW Information and Application


Get a final water/sewer reading. Click here to schedule.

Rent Your Home

If you plan to rent out your home, you must first register with the city. There is a one-time fee of $25. Click here for the Application.