Placement of Political signs and other signs
According to the City’s Sign Ordinance, Temporary signs are defined in the ordinance as … This includes garage sale, real estate, election, directional, etc. The Ordinance prohibits the placement of temporary signs on City property and in the Road Right of Way (“ROW”). The ROW includes the actual roadway as well as a certain amount of space from the edge of the road onto the adjoining or adjacent property. The ROW is not the same in all parts of the City of Sylvan Lake, but it generally ranges between 10 to 15 feet from the edge of the pavement.
The City wishes to remain consistent in the enforcement of its code of ordinances and to maintain the health, safety, and welfare of the City and its residents – and in particular, to preserve even traffic flow and traffic sight lines. Therefore, please be advised that Temporary signs must be placed:
* at least 10 feet away from the edge of any roadway; on private property; and with the permission of the property owner.
* Total area of political signs on any one premises shall not exceed 20 square feet.
* Political signs shall not be located in the road right-of-way, or attached to any utility pole, other sign, other sign parts or
landscaping, including trees.
* Political signs shall be ground or wall signs.
* No ground sign shall be higher than four feet above grade.
* Political signs shall be removed within seven calendar days after the election or event to which it relates.
* Signs that express a political opinion unrelated to a public election date are limited to a period of display not to exceed
30 days in one calendar year on any premises.